Prep Time: 1.5 hours
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienne
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 cups torn salad greens
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- In a heavy saucepan, bring the sugar, vinegar and water to a boil. Stir constantly until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and place in the refrigerator until cool. Add the pineapple. Cover and return to the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Add the cucumbers, carrots and red onions to the pineapple mixture. Toss well.
- To serve, divide the salad greens among the plates. Top with the pineapple mixture and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
2 g protein
25 g carbohydrates
1 g fat
0 mg cholesterol
31 mg sodium
3 g fiber
341 mg potassium
67 mg calcium
***Recipe courtesy of the Mayo Clinic