As a parent, you already know that your own actions can play a role in what your kids choose to do. One of the key steps to raising healthy eaters is to serve as a healthy food role model for your children. Being a good food role model might seem tough, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are a few tips to get you started!
- Never skip meals—especially breakfast. If time allows, eat breakfast with your children to get the day started off right!
- Take your kids grocery shopping. Talk about where fruits, vegetables, grains, meats, and dairy products come from. Also, let your kids make healthy choices at the store. They can help you decide between buying broccoli or cauliflower.
- Avoid sugar-sweetened beverages. Drink water and low-fat milk instead of juice and soda.
- Try new foods together. Your child might not find spinach appealing, but she might be more willing to try it once she sees you eating it.
- Make dinner a family affair. Find kitchen tasks that kids can help with such as measuring spices or washing vegetables. When the meal is ready, eat together at the kitchen table and talk about the day. Use conversation starters like, “What is something funny that happened today?”
- Make desserts healthy. Eat fruits or yogurt for dessert in place of cookies or ice cream. Try out these Apple Dumplings for a healthy dessert dish.
- Avoid using foods as a reward for good behavior. Find other positive ways to reward your kids like letting them choose a board game to play together.
How are you a food role model for your children? Share your tips with other parents by leaving a reply below!