The cooler weather and the abundance of leaves on the ground can only mean one thing….it is officially fall! Even though the weather may be chilly and damp during this time of year, it is still important to get your family outside and moving. Playing outdoors not only helps keep kids active and healthy, but according to new research, it can also improve their eyesight! So put on some warm clothing and head outdoors for fall fun with these ideas!
- Rake some leaves together! Make a game to see who can make the biggest pile of leaves! Don’t have a yard? Head over to the Arnold Arboretum on November 19 for family leaf raking fun!
- When the trees and yards are bare, soak in some of the great architecture the city has to offer. Check out this great architecture tour map from Discovery Roxbury! You could also take a stroll around the Forest Hill Cemetery’s Sculpture Path.
- With last week’s cold weather and flurries, it’s not too early to kick off ice-skating season! Head down to the opening of the Frog Pond skating rink on November 21st!
- Take a hike or a walk. Get your family moving on one of the local walking paths or at one of your area parks. Also, check out these upcoming walking events at both the Arnold Arboretum and Jamaica Pond:
* Fall into Health at Arnold Arboretum, November 12 at 10 p.m.
* Family Hike at Arnold Arboretum, November 12 at 1 p.m.
* Bird Walk at the Jamaica Pond, November 19 at 8 a.m.
What activities does your family enjoy in the fall? Share your family’s ideas in the comments section below!