Spring has officially sprung in Boston! Now is the perfect time to start digging out the shorts and sports equipment you packed away during winter. In preparation for the increasingly warm months of spring, we have gathered some ideas of nontraditional, low cost, spring sports that will get the family moving outside and having a blast in the sunshine. We would love to know your ideas, too!
- Play a pick-up game or simply enjoy tossing a frisbee on the wide-open lawns of Boston Common and the Rose Kennedy Greenway.
- Play Whiffle ball in the backyard all season with the family and maybe even for charity in a child/adult tournament to benefit Joslin Diabetes Center on May 1st.
- Grab a hoop, act a little silly, and have fun getting fit by hula hooping. As you learn new tricks and build endurance this activity could burn up to 600 calories per hour. Plus you can practice almost anywhere with the right hoop. Take a look at the Boston Hoop Troop for some inspiration to get started.
- For a new perspective on Boston in springtime, canoe and kayak on the beautiful Charles River with low cost boat rentals. Boston rental locations will reopen in mid April.
- Hit the bike paths along the Charles River but skip the bike and try roller blading! This is a great workout for your legs and for your balance. Just make sure to wear proper padding and helmet protection.
- Get the whole family jumping for joy with a jump rope race, relay, or Double Dutch game. The faster you jump, the more fun you will have burning as many calories as jogging.
No matter what activity you choose, do what you love and enjoy the weather and your family’s company this spring. Have fun!