- 8 oz. (½ pound) whole wheat bowties or penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups (3 large) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup fat-free half-and-half
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- In a large pot, cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onion is soft, adding a little water to the skillet if the mixture seems dry.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for about 2 minutes, or until tender-crisp.
- Stir in the tomatoes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Return the skillet to the heat.
- Gradually stir in the half-and-half, Parmesan, and black pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until heated through.
- Serve over the pasta.
Yields: 4 servings
Nutrition Information per Serving:
Total Fat: 10.9 g
Protein: 11 g
Cholesterol: 4 mg
Sodium: 108 mg