Prep time: 90 minutes
- 1 can red kidney beans (drain and rinse beans well to remove salt)
- 1 can black beans (drain and rinse beans well to remove salt)
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes (use “no salt added” for lower sodium)
- 1 small can of tomato paste (use “no salt added” for lower sodium)
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (tbsp) of olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (tsp) cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) thyme
- 1/2 pound (lb) ground beef (optional)
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pan.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until the onion is translucent (more clear than white).
- If using beef, sauté until brown, drain fat, and add to pan.
- Add peppers and sauté for a few minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices.
- When mixture is bubbling, reduce heat to simmer and add beans.
- Cover and simmer for at least 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it simmers, the better it tastes.
Be sure to freeze any leftover chili – some say it actually tastes even better after it’s been frozen!
Serves 4 to 5
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups (c)
Nutritional information per serving:
16 g protein
7 g fat
56 g carbohydrate
11 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
1255 mg sodium
186 mg calcium
4.5 mg iron
Image courtesy of Food Network.